Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Post Dinner Bedside Reading

Books on Headboard. Photo by Equalizer.



I had invited over a couple of my friends for dinner at what I call "the lab". I think my friends are the happiest lab subjects on the planet, because fortunately enough for them, and myself, the experiment turns out very well. Don't get me wrong, but all those experiments involve edible food products, no chemicals there.
The weather was shouting BBQ, even my friends heard it! What better than a good juicy and tender steak for dinner? I called up my friends and asked them to get the best ribeye cuts they could get in the market (as if there is anywhere other than TSC). I went to the nearest supermarket and got random ingredients for the sauce where all of a sudden a vision struck in my head. I just love it when I build ideas as I browse for products. I paid and shortly left to my "lab", still thinking about a plan of attack. I had also taken with me a Dean & Deluca BBQ Rub which had hints of mesquite smoke and brown sugar. Perfect for any steak.

The recipe has already been set in my mind by the time I arrived to the "lab". Ribeye Steaks massaged with D&D BBQ Rub and served with an Half Caramelized Onion & Dried Fig Cream Sauce with a touch of balsamic and rosemary. I usually never inform my subjects of what is actually cooking, especially if it is a bit adventurous. I usually tend to photograph my inventions, but in the case when there is competition and an atmosphere of chaos caused by semi-animalisic subjects, the camera has to be dropped. I though I went a bit overboard when I realised I had two full steaks, but felt releived when I found out that one of the subjects had four! Now who was supposed to cleanup?!

One thing I knew, its time for me to retreat to my bed and do a bit of mind numbing reading to put me down. I though I might share with you what I consider my natural sleep aid.

The Fall of Carthage: A historical investigation through various ancient texts and history books about what really happened to the ill-fated Carthage. Why is it interesting to me? No one really knows for sure what happened to Carthage, as the whole civilization was wiped out by the Romans, calling this small colony Africa.

Persian Fire: A time Persia was the most powerful empire in the world, fighting what appears to be terrorist states, Athens and Sparta. This books explores parralels in history that ironically is the opposite of what we are witnessing today.

Empire: Explores the history of the rise and fall of the empire where literally the sun never set down; the British Empire. From the beggining of the Americas and the East India Company to the the fall post WWII.

The Zahir by Paolo Coelho: The Zahir or "Althaher" in Arabic is a complex story of lost love, betrayal and the rediscovery of self. Too complex to put in a paragraph so you may have to read it.

The Shadow of the Wind: Another complex plot about a boys obsession with finding the truth behind the an obscure and rare novel "The Shadow of the Wind" that led to the writers murder. A novel that has information that it is rumored that the culprit burns every copy of it he finds.

The Hitler Book: Stalin's obsession with Hitler post his death, lead to an investigation through several dossiers outlining how Hitler used to think and behave. Information that is partially voluntarily extracted from SS officers demonstrate the dark dim thinking of Hitler.

Failed States by Noam Chomsky: Chomsky explores and argues how the United States is the most failed of all countries in the world for many reason including ignoring public opinion regarding war, environment and social spending all the way to jeopordizing homeland security through underfunding of critical areas due to tax cuts in favor of the rich and promotion of hatred elsewhere.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger 3abeer said...

nothing better than good food and good company :)

seemed like the perfect BBQ.

11/28/2006 10:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol man! dun get me wrong but it seems like all u do is eat healthy , travel n read a lot....!wats ur daytime job...i mean what do u do for a living ??? plzz dun break my heart n tell me your a hi-fi chef!!

11/28/2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

intlxpatr: I don't want those fans to turn into assassins if anything goes wrong hehe. UW

3abeer: Well it was a bit short of being perfect if it wasn't for the mess they left behind hehe.

Anonymous: hehe well I do cook partially as part of my job, but unfortunately no, i'm not a hi-fi chef :p

11/29/2006 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

that's the price you pay for entertaining guests in KUWAIT ;)

12/02/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kleio said...

I know it's a little late for me to be commenting here but I had to. I'm sorry...where did you pick up the Dean & Deluca BBQ Rub from? It sounded like you got it from your local supermarket but I highly doubt that's the case and I must have misunderstood. Because if your local supermarket carries D&D stuff then I gotta know! :)

Man I miss the D&D market in DC. Good eats.

12/06/2006 02:56:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

idip: will do :) and it seems Africa the continent was named very recently during colonial times.

3abeer: Well what a hefty price it is!

Kleio: Naaah it was from the US, don't raise your hopes that high for local supermarkets! hehe

12/06/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally! someone who has read shadow of the wind! i love that book..

12/08/2006 06:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home