Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Double Trouble 2

Banana Lgaimat with warm toffee sauce (left)
Fish Tagine with figs and apricots (right)
(photos by Equalizer)

Food Food Food. I think by the end of the month, people will hate food. Atleast temporarily. Then Eid comes and all hell breaks loose again. Breakfast and lunch and dinner. Then comes the in between snacks and coffee breaks. A muffin here a bag of chips there. For some its the animalistic chow down of the ever-greasy eggplant and potato sandwichs (9amoon bo6a6 oo baydiyan) and falalfel sandwiches during peak office hours behind a small window with thousands of people lined outside to be served, usually hospitals, or Wezarat Al Shuon. I have to admit that I really love those sandwichs, but for now I must abstain.

Banana Lgaimat (Express Recipe)

1 package Lgaimat mix (dumplings) Follow instructions
4 bananas pureed in blender
1 package toffee sauce

Mix pureed bananas with lgaimat mix at the very end. Fry in oil. Add warm toffee on top.

Fish Tagine with Apricots and Figs

1 kg white fish filets cut in chunks
2 Large red onion
5 shallots
1 cup chopped dried apricots
6 large fresh figs quartered
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cups almonds
2 tbs Ras Al-Hanout (Morrocan Spice Mix) (substitute: 1 tbs Kuwaiti spice mix, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground dried rose petals)
1 cinnamon
1 1/2 tbs saffron strands
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs butter
2 tbs rose water
1 tsp salt

Method:

Wash fish chunks properly. Marinate with Ras Al-Hanout, olive oil and 1/2 saffron and leave in the fridge for an hour. Meanwhile sautee chopped onions and shallots in olive oil until soft. Add apricots, fresh figs, chickpeas, 1 tbs Ras Al-Hanout, cinnamon stick and 1 tbs saffron and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add water till the tip of contents, stir and simmer for an hour before adding fish.

Fry the fish in olive oil 1 minutes on each side. Fish should not be completly cooked, as it is seared to seal in the juices. Add the fish to the other mixture in the pot. Add water as deemed neccessary. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Roast whole almonds with butter and then add rose water until glazed.

Serve with couscous and sprinkle with almonds.

18 Comments:

Blogger Blossom said...

Don't you think you are getting your self into troubles


Have Merci !


Ohh I like morocco-ish pottery :P


P.S Banana Lgaimat looks definitely delicious..and it looks like an ordinary lgaimat ... interesting !!

10/19/2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Sheba said...

OMG
drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooling on the lugaimat!!

10/19/2005 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Blossom: I need merci on my self! yeah they look like ordinary lgaimat hence the name LGAIMAT :p

Sheba: Ewwww find another spot to drool on :p

q8-leo: These are my dishes as I made them and pictured them ;) I guess men cook because women these days don't :p mens bellies screaming out loud "feed me, feed me"

10/19/2005 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger ray said...

equalizer :P

i'm gonna try it for tomorrow, with real lgaimat "dough?" and real toffee and see if it works or not :)

10/19/2005 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had promise my self not to check out your site during the day time or not until futoor...
But it still like having a bowl of candy in front of a kid, It's not going to be alright.
I can't help but peek and just imagine how would this taste right about now. ummmmmmm

Torture. Thank you :)

10/19/2005 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

Looks very tasty Equalizer and a very pleasant combination.
I commend you on your culinary abilities and your wonderful photos.

Perhaps you can one day give us a biographical post- as to why you are a gourmet ;)
And don't tell me because its women don't cook.

10/20/2005 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger don_veto said...

If you ever open a restaurant, I am going to be there breakfast lunch and dinner and not forgetting the ever so important coffee breaks.

10/20/2005 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger Erzulie said...

If you ever open a restaurant, it will probably not be successful because I'll have you bound and kidnapped from day one. With that said, I will go back to the pictures for a fourth look.

10/20/2005 07:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sheba said...

afa!

Ok i have a few questions:

1. Lgaimat mix, ay marka?

2. How do i make sure that the lgaimat do NOT look like dinosaurs?

3. Have you tried the same with apple & cinnamon?

10/20/2005 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Ray: Let me know how it works out :)

Diamon: LOL can I torture you to the point that you actually go ahead and cook those recipes? :p

Jewaira: Thanks dear :) My culinary journey is certainly interesting, but I think I have a lot more to go until it becomes meaningful to readers, not that its not :p

Don Veto & Erzulie: I do have one, and its not very hard to know, but I wont blow my cover :p

Sheba: I havent tried every brand, so I cannot recommend one yet. As for the shape, it has to do with the density of the mix, the denser, the more likely it will have a good shape. Also the yeast and sugar content if very high, it will puff up too large. You must modify the mix to reach the best consistency. I havent tried apple and cinnamon, but I was thinking about it the other day! goes well with vanilla ice cream if served warm.

10/20/2005 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sheba said...

great stomaches think a like i guess ;)

10/20/2005 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger ray said...

the toffee looks so delicious :D

i'm gonna fry'em after 30 minutes :)

10/20/2005 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have lost my touch in the kitchen
(working much outside the house)
I don't know if I can make a come back; plus me trying to cook this deliciously looking meal, I wont do them justice.
I will keep the dream alive and just fatasize...
Plus I probably won't have the right ingredients here which is one the keys to have a perfect dish

10/20/2005 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

OMG...banana gumait...my ultimate favourite...I used to have a nanny that perfected them..then she left...and I've suffered ever since then!....Hopefully with this recipe...we can give it a try again!

10/21/2005 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger Stinni said...

Stinni chants:

*Blow your cover. Blow your cover. Blow your cover. Blow your cover*

Ugh. At least give us a hint to what kind of restaurant you have? Please?

Or you could e-mail me at simplystinni AT hotmail DOT com and I promise my lips will be sealed (until I eat at your restaurant..). :)

10/21/2005 06:57:00 AM  
Blogger أبو جيج يدور نعاله said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/21/2005 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger أبو جيج يدور نعاله said...

Check this out

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=66997&st=330#entry1032321

I tell you we have NOTHING here..

Dying to taste that Squab :\ and the ROSEWATER PUFFS....and the PUSHED FOIE GRAS tart apple marshmallow...and everything else...Im not going to say look at the damn presentation...just stunning

:/ Ok I cant take this anymore

10/21/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Sheba: Yeah I guess, but I would love to see you do it :p

Ray: how was it?

Diamon: come on! don't give any excuses, anyone can be a great cook. :p

Misscosmo: so who is going to do it? :p

Stinni: LOL :p

Bo jaij: Thanks for the link, now I know I need years to get to that level! hehe

10/21/2005 06:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home