Monday, October 17, 2005

Random Thought Random Food

Tagliatelle with beetroot arugula pesto and pinenut balsamic honey brittle.
(photo by Equalizer)

I came back home today to find my mom and brother arguing over a subject I never really thought about. They were arguing whether people can marry bastards! What a subject ha? My mother was telling the story of a bastard girl that had refused to marry a normal guy because it is "haram" and she must only marry another bastard, even though the normal guy loved her dearly. Its a very strange story to hear before futoor.

I have to admit, I have no clue whether it is allowed in Islam or not. I know one thing that logic plays. They are human beings after all, why should they be treated differently. Here is the funny thing, no one here can trace his lineage back to Adam. So how do you know you are not a decendent of a bastard? No proof right? I think in Islam is it about your beleif, and that is what makes who you are.

Update: A few years back there was a proposal in the National Assembly (majlis umma) to introduce DNA (busma weratheya) and it was blocked mostly by a certain group of people. I wonder why? Is it because there might be bastards traced back to them? (remember the story of the dead child in Salmiya) or they themselves are bastards? Or even worse, they are not who they claim they are. Obviously in the world of DNA a whole nation can be proved wrong about thier diversity. An extensive study funded by National Geographic found that 96% of Lebanese are all of the same origin, Phoenicians. Check the issue. During the civil war in Lebanon, the term phoenician was reffered to the Christians of Mount Lebanon, whereby the Muslims were thought to be Arab invaders. This study settled the matter for once and for all.


Beetroot Arugula Pesto

1 bunch fresh arugula leaves
1/2 bunch fresh parsley leaves
1/4 bunch fresh mint
5 cloves garlic
1/2 can beetroot
5 peices sundried tomatoes
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pinenuts
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Pinenut Balsamic Honey Brittle

1 cup pinenuts
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbs honey
2 tbs olive oil

Roast pinenuts in olive oil. add balsamic vinegar and honey and leave to caramelize until thick. Pour small circles on cold greased marble top or plate. Leave to cool down and remove with spatula.

15 Comments:

Blogger Rimyoleta said...

I agree with you dear it's a bout ur belife :)..and how would you know that you urself not a bastard :P..
weird subject :P
ps: yummy pic

10/17/2005 05:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(me on the couch watching at the pasta)
me: ahhhh. yallah ya kareem, er7amna ya ra7eem
zayoon: shfeech b3ad.. 3alamichh!
(me turn the laptop screen so zayoon could see what am talking about)
zayoon: wallaain.. shnawee 3laina hatha, dont show me more food please!
.....
Congratulations, ur officially hated! :P

10/17/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger Erzulie said...

I don't care about the bastard issue. We probably all are. I'm still mesmerized by the picture though. It's been tough to write this measly paragraph because I already switched back to looking at the pic twice now...It hurts, really...If it gets any better than this, I'll end up gnawing my screen off.

10/17/2005 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Stinni said...

Innovative recipes, great picture. One question: do you know where I can find a decent pasta maker in Kuwait?

10/17/2005 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah? what? can we please talk about the food...
thank you :))))
Sorry my brain or should I say my stomach are not in the mood.
just kidding :) humm or am I ;)
I can't tell :/

10/17/2005 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

What an interesting subject. I suppose it all has to do with tracing pure lineage that many Arabs are obssessed with.

A very good question to ponder, which was raised on a BBC program a while back, is how many men are the actual fathers of the children that hold their names? Meaning that many men may never know that the child who he thinks is his son is probably someone else's.

Nowadays of course with all sorts of DNA testing, things are clearer and easier to uncover.

Now to your random food. I suggest you put a "sniff square" on your blog where we can scratch and sniff the aroma and perhaps get a taste of the delicious flavours as an added bonus.

Lovely photos Equalizer

10/17/2005 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger ray said...

eq,
er7amna ya sheikh :P

your blog inspired me to create a delicious "b-spread"

i passed the recipe to some friends and it became a daily snack for them :D

10/18/2005 01:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exquisite colors and taste. But i wish the recipe wasn't available to the public; just makes it more .. special :) what was your inspiration for this dish ? i hope not the argument u heard before futoor ..

10/18/2005 02:17:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Rimyoleta: You have doubts about your self? :p Click to enlarge it.

Dina: Thanks for hating me :p

Erzulie: LOL is it that bad? haha

Stinni: The last time I saw one was in The One. Making pasta is time consuming but fun. You reminded me I should make some for fresh raviolis.

Diamon: I beleive you have access to good pasta over there? Or am I wrong?

Jewaira: Read the National Geographic special about the origins of the phoenicians. It seems that 96% of Lebanese people are of the same origin according to a DNA study of 40,000 samples. No more claims now to who is more Lebanese.

Ray: What is a b-spread?

Marrakech: who said this is the whole recipe ;)This recipe was inspired by a person that appreciated everything I did, which fueled more inspiration and thus more creativity. Vicious cycle.

Samboose: True that, but people look at them as the products of sin, and thus created those stories about bastards. I really wonder how many of those are there in Kuwait.

10/18/2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Blossom said...

YUMMIE

10/18/2005 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger Blossom said...

AS for the issue ... I've watched a whole documentary film about it in Al-Arabeyia I was shocked about the fact I mean they have no rights...they suffer cuz they're not treated as human beings ...well I don't have much to add !

10/18/2005 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Rimyoleta said...

mmmmmmm..well no..but I don't know what everyone thinks about me:S..
and (HONEY:S:S)..I hate honey..:|

10/18/2005 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Blossom: it is sad aint it.

Rimyoleta: it doesn't matter what people think !

q8-leo: saw the comment you deleted LOL. It was relevant :)

10/18/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

Interesting update on the post

10/19/2005 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger ray said...

eq,

that's what my frinds call it :D

b-spread, as bread spread :P

10/19/2005 04:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home