Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Top Hotel & Restaurant Interior Designers

V Spice at the Victor in Miami designed by Jacques Garcia

Jacques Garcia is considered the only person to have transformed classical Parisian style into style so unique that is is highly sought after worldwide. Many people have heard of his works, but seldon heard of his name. For the Middle East most people have heard of or have experienced Albergo Hotel and Cafe La Mie Doree in Beirut, but don't know that Jacques Garcia was behind it. Also the world famous Hotel Costes music album has the music mix played at Hotel Costes in Paris, which has the best courtyard lunch, is also deigned by Jacques Garcia. Recently, Garcia has crossed the Atlantic to design the faboulous Victor Hotel in Miami.


Sambal in Mandarin Oriental Miami designed by Tony Chi.

Tony Chi is famous for his theatrical restaurant designs, emphasizing on on colors and a mix of elements. At Ye Shanghai in Shanghai has allowed me to understand his design as I compared it with Teatro in Dubai. I consider him a concept based designer, where the underlying concept, defines his style.


Senso Restaurant & Bar at Hotel Le Tremoille in Paris designed by Sir Terrence Conran.

Sir Terrance Conran, the founder of Habitat furniture store and later The Conran Shop is the leading authority in design in the British Isles, as evident by his title, the only designer knight. Recently he has crossed th English Channel by deisigning the uber glamourous Senso in Paris.


Pod in New York City designed by David Rockwell.
David Rockwell is one of the most sought after hospitality and restaurant designers in the states. Of his most notable design works is Nobu and Nobu Next Door in the big apple. Unlike other designers that stick to signature design, Rockwell is a very flexible, concept-based designer. Rockwell closely works with Starwood, for the W brand of designer hotels. The W Westwood is certainly a departure from the conventional hotel. The lobby is more of a dim lighted cozy lounge than a mere reception area.

The Hudson Bar at The Hudson Hotel in New York City by Phillipe Starck.
Phillipe Starck is probably the most famous designer in the world, having his print on everything from Hotels to watches. His fusion of classic design elements and play with proportion with minimalistic design elemets have given him a recognizable and distinct style. So far I have expereinced 5 of his masterpeices. Sanderson and St. Martins Lane hotels in London, Jia in Hong Kong, Bon in Paris and Modrian in L.A. For me it was a Phillipe Starck overdose, I don't think I can take more, but I know I will find my self crawling back into his designs. Call it addiction if you like, but isin't that the reason he is famous?

B+F Burger Boutique in Kuwait (Conceptual Design) by Amsterdam based Concrete.

Concrete Architectural based in Amsterdam is one of the design firms that like to defy convention. They are the designers behind the world famous Supperclub of Amsterdam and Rome, where basically diners eat while lying down on huge mattresses, chatting, sleeping or whatever you wish to do (ok, not ALL). Defying convetion however does limit their work to certain areas of the world, this is why their project in Kuwait, B+F Burger Boutique was suspended, as evident in the above picture.

Hakkasan in London. Designed by Paris based Christian Liaigre

Christian Liaigre has carved his name as a top interior designer by his suble modern Asian designs. His passion for Asian woodwork and simple lines, has allowed him to re-interpret it in a modern minimalistic way. Liaigre spends half of his time in Thailand, constantly researching new ideas. His work was epitomized in Alan Yau's Hakkasan, the founder of Wagamama in London. Liaigre has also teamed with Alan Yau for the creation of Busaba Eathai in Soho. His store in Paris is amongst the best furniture stores I have visited, filled with modern Asian items for the house of your dreams.

T8 Restaurant & Bar in Shanghai, China. Design by Yasuhiro Koichi of the Tokyo based Design Studio SPIN.

Yasuhiro Koichi of Tokyo based Design Studio SPIN, has designed many notable restaurants in Asia, amongst them, The Restaurant at Chedi Muscat. My experience at The Restaurant and T8 in Shanghai has certainly made me admire him and place him on my list of top interior designers. His use of classic Asian accents of woods, materials and colors, along with modern application of subtle lighting and simple lines and modern materials, gave him his own identity.

19 Comments:

Blogger Zaydoun said...

You sure know your stuff... I just stayed at the Jacques Garcia designed Hotel Bourg Tibourg in Paris. It's a mini Hotel Costes!

And Burger Boutique.. Who knew?!

9/21/2005 05:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm might I suggest Anouska Hemple?

9/21/2005 09:05:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Zaydoun: really how was it? it must be charming. As for Burger Boutique its a long story :)

catch-22: Anouska Hemple certainly deserves to be on the list, and so does Andrea Putman.

9/22/2005 02:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog - I'm not that fussy with food, unless I'm hungry. I'm extra fussy when it comes to Space/Object design.

9/22/2005 02:57:00 AM  
Blogger Misguided said...

Dear Equalizer,

Love the blog.. really cool!! Keep t up.

One thing though your entire blog is clickable cuz you probably left a tag open..

I think your lastet post maybe the culprit.

Truly,
Misguided

9/22/2005 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger Zaydoun said...

equalizer.. It was charming, but my room was really tiny. Still, amazing use of little space, and it was so nicely decorated that I didnt care.

Other Paris favorites: Montalembert, Tremoille, Lancaster

I love hotels and I always make a point of NOT staying at a chain hotel wherever I go.

www.tablethotels.com

9/22/2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Catch-22: Well I would love to see your work hehe.

Misguided: Thanks ! its a work in progress. As for the click problem, I don't really understand html, so I don't know what happened.

Zaydoun: You are like me hehe, I hate chain hotels!! I have stayed at the Montalembert, Bel Ami, and Pont Royal which houses the new L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (supposedly the best restaurant in Paris). AS for tablethotels.com, I have been using it for 2 years now, and its great, but you must couple your search with the hotel's own website for special offers.

www.designhotels.com I use this one too :)

Samboose:Tell me about it, I am already gathering a large group of people to put them on the Mayflower 2 :P

9/22/2005 03:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillside Su in Turkey

9/23/2005 02:32:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

catch22: what about Hillside Su? Nice design.

samboose: There are no free lunchs :p

9/23/2005 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger Rimyoleta said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW...Can people live there?!!!...I know I want to:D

9/23/2005 03:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep

9/23/2005 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Zaydoun said...

I hate the designhotels website; It's not user-friendly at all. The Tablet site is far superior, and has great pictures too

Forgot Bel Ami, stayed there once. Didn't like my room but who cares when you're in Saint Germain?

Hotel Costes's rooms weren't that great either, but again...great vibe in the lobby/courtyard made up for it

2 years ago, we met Herbert Ypma (Hip Hotels) in Turkey, writing about the hotel we were staying at, Ada.

OK.. that's enough name-dropping for today!

9/24/2005 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Rimyoleta: Yeah offcourse people can live there. I hate to say this, but I really don't like to advertize these places to typical 5aleejee's which are 90%, coz they tend to ruin the mood. George V in Paris has done me a great favor hehe.

catch22: Thanks :)

Grandma: Shalshamory? are you sure the name is correct?

Zaydoun: You know what? you and I should start a luxury travel planning agency. Very exclusive, and by invitation. We certainly don't want those niveau riche people start making us look like fools haha. You know I wish I have Herbert Ypma's job! Unfortunately no time for that.

9/24/2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Rimyoleta said...

Where r u?!..I haven't seen u around!!!..U should come:D

9/24/2005 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Rimyoleta: hehe I would never go to George V! its for niveau riche LOL. So I'm glad its keeping them there.

9/24/2005 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Erzulie said...

I just went through your blog and my mouth was starting to water. Having a great dish at a hidden gem in the city...I think it's one of my hobbies. Great blog. Looks like you can cook, but are those actually the pictures of stuff you cooked up? If so, I'm coming over.

9/25/2005 02:35:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Erzulie: yeah I do cook :) and I have indicated the pictures I have taken of the dishes I cooked. Alot of the stuff I cook are unfortunately not pictured. You are welcome anytime :)

9/25/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Hudson Bar is by far my favorite!
Something about the painting on the roop & the log that's has chair backs attached to it! I'm not too fond of bright spaces but this one has the right formula of light + old/modern Furniture + of course the right dose of beautiful ppl! Oh and the escelators...a TRIP!

wv: wftoky (Aftak min shino? akeed blogging)

9/28/2005 04:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic review...where did you get your pictures from?

http://restaurantstyle.info

12/31/2006 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home