Saturday, August 20, 2005

Poetic Cookery: Lady in Red



I am starting a new series of posts called Poetic Cookery. Everytime I would pick a poem or song lyric, I will formulate a meal plan for it. Since all meals come out as I read the poem or listen to the song, coming up with the exact recipe needs to follow later, especially if there is a strong popular demand for it.

The Urban Legend: Lady in Red
The legend as I have heard goes like this. A successful man in his forties get dressed for a black tie evening gala, he kisses his wife and leaves home. He reaches the place and starts having conversations with his friends and colleagues and other invited guests. As he was in the middle of the conversation he glimpses a lady in a red dress on the other side of the hall, ignored her and continued to mingle around. Subconsciously he kept looking for her while having his conversation and looking over people's shoulders. He knows deep down that there is something about this lady that he cannot explain. So beautiful and so vibrant, yet he cannot see her from near. He is resisting the temptation, for he is a married man. Yet he cannot keep his thinking straight. He needs to know why is he so mesmerized by her. He decides that there is no harm to get closer and see who she is. He spots her from far, with her back towards him and her long shiny supple hair. He gets closer and closer and stops when it is a good distance for him to have a better look. He kept staring at her waiting for her to turn around. She turns around and his eye pupils goes wide and his jaw drops. The most beautiful lady he has ever seen in his life. He goes to her and kisses her! He has never felt a rush this way. The lady in red is.......his wife.

The moral of the story: When you don't see beauty no more, have a step back and you will realize that you had it all along.

Lyrics from the song Lady in Red by Chris DeBurgh

I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight
I've never seen you shine so bright

I've never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance

They're looking for a little romance, given half a chance

I have never seen that dress you're wearing

Or the highlights in your head that catch your eyes I have been blind

The lady in red is dancing with me cheek to cheek

There's nobody here, it's just you and me, It's where I wanna be

But I hardly know this beauty by my side

I'll never for get, the way you look tonight

I've never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight

I've never seen you shine so bright you were amazing

I've never seen so many people want to be there by your side

And when you turned to me and smiled, It took my breath away

I have never had such a feeling

Such a feeling of complete and utter love, as I do tonight

The way you look tonight

I never will forget, the way you look tonight

The lady in red

The lady in red

The lady in red

My lady in red (I love you.)

Meal Plan:

Starter:
Mixed green leaf salad with baked chevre on sundried tomato bread, roasted pine nuts, and drizzled with balsamic-sundried tomato dressing and extra virgin olive oil.

Entree': Pan-fried veal liver filet (or veal filet if you preffer) with fresh figs glazed with balsamic vinegar, thyme and sprinkles of lavender and cracked black pepper. Served with mashed sweet potaoes mixed with oven roasted garlic and rosemary oil and a side of sauteed girolles mushrooms.

Dessert: Mixed fresh red berries in espresso cup topped with melted warm milk chocolate and a fresh rose petal on top.

Bon Appetit :)

17 Comments:

Blogger MBH said...

While reading your post, I was thinking to myself: "Oh God, he's gonna put drugs in the food!". Thankfully, you didn't!

I don't cook, cuz I donno how. But from the ingredients I must say, your post looks yummy!

I too, like the idea of your Poetic Cookery.

Keep 'em coming...

8/20/2005 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Papillona ® said...

awwww :)

Equalizer how much do you weigh? seriously

8/20/2005 08:56:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Salty I'm glad you liked it, but i will not be doing a lot of mushy poetry ;p Only if you like to have more hehe.

Sarah don't worry I'm not a fatso, even though I don't see anything wrong with that ;p Seriously I have a good body, not the best though hehe, I can hide my unwanted excess baggage :)

8/20/2005 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Luckily I just had lunch!..It all sounds so scrumptious!...that was delicious..

8/21/2005 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Its good to imagine a taste! Thats how I create those meals in the first place, but not all ideas are executed though, and alot is improvisation.

8/21/2005 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

saporito!!!
I wonder how veal liver tastes like? I haven't had veal for over 8 yrs now.
Cuddos to the Poetic Cooking. Lemme try n give you the next inspiration, though I warn u its a tough one.

"Dancing and Floating on Marshmallow clouds as Cinnamon dusts my dreams away"

8/21/2005 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Hehehe thats very easy. I'm gonna give you and easy one, Smores. Not many know what that is. You stick a marshmallow on a wooden stick, and place on fire until it starts to melt, place between two peices of chocolate chip cookie like a sandwich and dip in warm mexican hot chocolate infused with cinnamon. ;p

8/22/2005 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Speaking of Cooking Marshmallows, I found another poem I'd like to share:
COSMIC MARSHMALLOW ROAST

The pale white orb
in sugar dust
onto the branch stick
squeezed and thrust
Beginning a journey
of lust and desire
out of the package
and into the fire.
Soundless, mindless,
calm and quiet,
it's going to die,
she's off her diet
that giant being
so strange and odd
who put the mallow
on the prod.
The fire flickers
the bright flames sway
as the marks of the smoke
turn the marshmallow gray.
Too close to the fire
too helpless in trouble
it warps and convulses,
it tingles and bubbles.
The surface turns brown
and the core feels the heat.
The bubbles turn black
as they pop to the beat
of the mad spitting fire
and the burning hot blasts
till the marshmallow's melted,
a formless brown mass.
Hanging spent skin
and exposed mottled core,
it's gobbled up suddenly
now there's no more

8/22/2005 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger ray said...

it sounds delicious ... yummie

8/22/2005 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

haha you like marshmallows dont you?

8/22/2005 01:26:00 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Not quite the fan but I always dream of walking on Marshmallow clouds! wouldn't u?

8/22/2005 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Mama not not really, I have always dreamt of living in a house made of machboos!

8/22/2005 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

When I was a kid, deyay, now its la7am ! Carnivore baby!

8/23/2005 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, all I can say is that you are very creative. The idea is alive in itself. I can actually imagine every part of it, especially the food! sensational and healthy, containing all the nutritions the body needs. Youre fantastic!

8/23/2005 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

You want to live inside a Machboos Jidir? when all the other kids wanted a candy house! You're taste buds underwent a revolutionary change. I bet now you'd rather be living in Coconut or even better, swimming inside a Pinacolada inside a coconut! Freaky but cool.

8/23/2005 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Mmmmmm well that would be a nice change! Especially coming from my original dream of swimming in a nice cool river of liban !

8/23/2005 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Corazon hehe I will try to do a sensual meal. I have to find the poem first. From the top of my head, it has to include arugula, seafood, chocolate, and all aphrodesiacs :)

8/27/2005 02:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home