Friday, September 01, 2006

CandyBar

Graphics by Equalizer

I am not usually fond of candy bars (chocolate bars) but recent arrivals with loads of scrumptious fillings and wonderful flavors makes want to try them all. Some people are addicted to the stuff you get from the supermarket, and in the process I beleive numb their taste for better alternatives. It is the same people that usually have a snickers bar with coke, which really doesn't make sense other than the fact that diabetes is knocking on their doors. However I want to compile a list of interesting candy bars, some might be accessible some not.


  • Halloween Kit Kat: I guess you can't go wrong with Kit Kat. The best however when it used to be privately owned under Rowntrees. Kit Kat in the US tastes like nothing. Actually all commerical candy bars are really filled with cheap quality ingredients, its nothing but a sugar fix. The Halloween Kit Kat is mmm well interesting to try.
  • Caramel Apple Retro Bar: This has chunks of caramel apple reminiscent of theme parks and carnivals from Chocolate Bar NYC.
  • Aero Honeycomb Egg: I love Aero, not for the chocolate, but for the texture. Alot of people downplay texture or would not identify texture as the winning ingredient of any food item and would think it is something else like the quality of the chocolate. Perfect example would be Cadbury's Flake.
  • Dylan's Candy Bar: Ralph Lauren's daughter has a thing for chocolate bars and decided to open her own candy super store. Looks very funky with very cool selection too. She has her very own creations along with other classics.

12 Comments:

Blogger Equalizer said...

LTEC!: Thanks for the additional and mostly accessible list of chocolate goodies. Like yourself, I am not a big choco fan, but will endulge whenever the mood is right. The chocolate mouse sounds interesting. I was thinking of doing a nice dark chocolate muffin with a molten caramel white chocolate sauce and a rasperry center.
And yeah, keep hunting and update me on anything gourmet :)

9/03/2006 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger chiktute said...

that halloween kitkat looks like it's gone bad!

9/03/2006 02:14:00 AM  
Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

For someone who's not too much into chocolate..I have to say that all this talk about candy bars has given me the urge to pack my bags, tell my boss that I have something important I gotta do and run off to the local bakala and get me a kit kat....I tell you...name them all but when it's a good old original Kuwait Kit Kat...it's zeee best!

9/03/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Kleio said...

Aero has been one of my favourite chocolate bars since I was a kid... precisely because of the texture. I have always thoroughly enjoyed the experience of eating one. What I usually do is bite all around the edges, delicately removing the "smooth" chocolate parts, until I'm left with the bare porous centre, and then savour that on its own. I had mixed emotions about the big single "piece" Aero bar they came out with. On the one hand, you have an even bigger porous centre to enjoy the texture of. On the other hand, it's just not quite the same as those small pieces!

I'm not much of a chocolate person either, but once in a while I too must indulge. Particularly when I'm writing...that's when I crave it most. And seeing as I'm about to get back to my dissertation, and after reading this, I feel a craving coming on.

LTEC: "I just enjoy the hunt for perfect things" - Amen!

9/03/2006 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

My name is 3abeer and I'm a chocoholic!
I'm always searching for that perfect taste and texture as you mentioned, I don't really go for supermarket candy and chocolates.. they're not stored so well and as you said they contain cheap ingredients.
I like all sorts, milk, dark and white chocolate..even though the latter contains no cocoa in it, it's still good.
I don't know if this counts..but my ultimate comfort food is Ben & Jerry's "phish Food" .. it probably contains 7,000 calories.. but it does the job when you're blue.. it's Chocolate ice cream with marshmallow, caramel swirls and fish shaped chocolatey chunks.

Yummmm!!

9/03/2006 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

oh ...and just incase you're interested...

http://www.benjerry.co.uk/ouricecream/phish_food.php

9/03/2006 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Chiktute: Well what else can go bad on halloween? :p

Misscosmo: To be honest, I think I had my fair share of Kit Kat back in my childhood, since we always had a box in the fridge. I can't think of Kit Kats anymore. I remember seeing "best when served cold" written on the packaging, was I hallucinating?

Kleio: Yeah I remember when the big Aero came out, I though the flavor of the chocolate was different. At the time i couldn't seperate the texture element and flavor. Too bad you can't replicate the texture with higher quality chocolates.

3abeer: "Phish Food"? I was holding my breath till the very end!


P.S. Ever heard of molecular gastronomy? Try infusing dark chocolate with blue cheese! Yeah I know what you people are thinking, but they have a similar molecular structure, so the result should be phenomenal!

9/03/2006 04:00:00 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

oh come on... the name is a bit eccentric, but the rackers are only fish shaped! nothing fishy about that!

9/03/2006 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to try chocolates by Pierre Marcolini ... I can guarantee that you'll turn into a chocoholic :)

I'm a big fan of their almond truffles and orangettes.

p.s- love your blog!

9/04/2006 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

3abeer: Ben & Jerry's are sometimes impossible to comprehend hehe, it just doesn't make sense :p

oohlalaa: Since it very difficult to obtain those in q8, I cannot see myself being a chocoholic anytime soon :p glad that you like it ;)

9/04/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

try to have an open mind.. I can't have you offend my favorite comfort food :p
plus you can judge it before you try it.

9/05/2006 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a chocolate person..
and i cant stand a day without chocolate.
I can eat 2 of that lindt box
3 snickers, 4 bounty, 7 kinder bars, 2 rittersport, 1,000000 Ferrero Roche in one day.
Gladly, i havent lost my taste buds. nor did i have diabetes ;P

9/06/2006 07:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home