Friday, October 28, 2005

The Grand Canyon ?

Mutlaa Ridge from the road to Subiya. Photo by Equalizer

We decided to go where no man has gone before. Ok, thats an exaggeration, but the majority of people would be like," what? this is in Kuwait?" No sir, we are in the Grand Canyon. Atleast I can make people beleive it is. Why are people so lazy these days? What happened to the good ol' camping and "kashta" days?

I get a call from my friend in the afternoon reminding me of our arrangement to go shop for our desert barbeque. We head over to Sultan Center, after picking a few unfortunate wet logs from our home before we leave. We never knew its going to be this busy at TSC, but we entered anyway. On the end of one of the aisles we saw something that my friend found very funny, and when I read it, I cracked out laughing loud. This is certainly not the thing you expect in Kuwait and certainly not in Ramadan.


On Our way to Mutlaa, which is an area along the northern shores of Kuwait bay we found a few cars selling fresh home made goats "leban" or buttermilk, cows buttermilk, goat's butter and cow's butter all fresh from the farms. I had to ask my friend to stop. I could not live in this country and not have some of it's delights. So we stopped asked the young man to get us a litre of goat and cow's buttermilk. We seriously looked like foreigners given the amused look on our faces of this strange yet familiar thing we are buying. Then the looks turned into that of concern. We are buying a health hazard. Well, I don't give a monkey, I will still drink it.

Sun sets behind the ridge. Photo by Equalizer.

The adventure posse.











Menu:


- Indian Pakora

- BBQ sauce marinated rib eye steak

- Kobe beef burger smothered with hickory smoked BBQ sauce and melted colby jack cheese

- Sri Lankan Curry

-Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper

-Goat's Buttermilk

-Assorted Chocolates

24 Comments:

Blogger ray said...

i wanna go too :/



it looks like you had lots of fun there , 3alaik bil 3afya :)

10/29/2005 01:44:00 AM  
Blogger Zaydoun said...

I think I see familiar faces

10/29/2005 02:07:00 AM  
Blogger Jan6a said...

Kobe burger!! Thluup Thluup!!

10/29/2005 04:28:00 AM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

wanasa!!

how was the fresh laban?

10/29/2005 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Erzulie said...

Nooo...no Dr. Pepper. It's rather ironic how they called it Doctor because it tastes like euwy cough drop medicine.

10/29/2005 06:19:00 AM  
Blogger Blossom said...

Sounds fun !


Is the Indian Pakora home-made ?!

10/29/2005 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

a7la shay el butter yummmmmmme

10/29/2005 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Ray: I did, Ye3afeech :)

Zaydoun: Thats what people with bad eye sight would say when they don't use their lenses :)

Jan6a: Nice sounds you make, but I wonder, is that the sound of you moving to crash on your bed? or the sound of juices dripping from you mouth? or the fat you got in you belly? :p

Flamy: Its amazing!! I think I will buy those metal flasks to keep it handy with me whenever I have this laban urge. I t was nice and creeeamy!!

Erzulie: Well people in Kuwait think it is a spicy drink. Go figure.

Blossom: No we just picked them up from a side canteen on the way! kidding hehe akeed home made.

Samboose: You can do that, coz it is only 30 minutes away.

wv: haywmg (haywire ma G?)

10/29/2005 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

chatterbox: yeah 3ajeeeb!! bs yo gotta watch for that belly :p

10/29/2005 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger True Faith said...

I am not a fan of desert trips; but will never forget a trip three years ago with my grandfather uncles, aunts, cousins. We were 13 family; we went to 9omman and camped there for 10 days. It was really fun and healthy too; wonderful views. My grand father told us that he will give us KD 100 if we try Camel milk; two of my cousins did but he didn't give them the money :P

10/29/2005 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger 3baid said...

Amunki already reported the weird chicken toy.

By the way, be very careful when buying "natural fresh" liban, it could seriously upset your stomach.

10/29/2005 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

maku "choke a boss"?

10/29/2005 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger Papillona ® said...

Why wasn't I invited?

10/29/2005 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jan6a said...

Thluuup Thluup - sound of juices dripping from my mouth! :p

10/29/2005 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Everything was sounding good. Until the part with Dr pepper.
sorry just not my taste.
But yeah good idea am camping too between my room,refrigerator, and living room.

10/30/2005 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

wanaaasaaaa....this sounds like the perfect outing...congratulations on being so creative...too bad the rest of the world doesn't see it that way...I would've definately gone if I was invited..:)

10/30/2005 03:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

The Intertwining road uphill is called 'Saddam Street'
oh & Check out Amunki's post on Chocking the Chicken: http://migrantmind.blogspot.com/2005/10/go-on-choke-your-chicken.html

wv: mlcsk (Milk Sick) Hahaha

10/30/2005 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

True faith: sounds like a true camping experience. Found any fuge3?

3baid: what a coincidence ha hehe...as for the leban, I wouldn't care if my stomache was upset, but rather me for not havint it :p

Flamy: nice corporate identity :p mmmm well I'm sure there is "@#$%" a boss :p

Papillona: What?!!! you didn't receive my message? :p

Jan6a: yeah I could imagine it in slow motion hehe

Diamon: I think I'm getting alot of Dr. Pepper hate mail I'm gonna go ahead and forward it to them hehe

Misscosmo: ok youre on for next time !

Mama: We didnt go there this time, but who called it "Saddam Street" and why? Oh I saw that , so its not just us that see it funny! haha.....Milk Schlake

Liaily: Mmmmm so who was the metlathim person that went along with us? mmmm

10/30/2005 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger True Faith said...

yeah many :)

10/30/2005 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Sheba said...

ma shawagni shay, my pallet changes with Ramadan, and from meal to meal. For example, futoor has to start with something sweet, followed by chai 7aleeb mal hnood. Then anything that is not rice. Then dessert :)

10/30/2005 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sheba said...

yemkin il leban

10/30/2005 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

I'm glad you shared the details of your adventure with us. Happy you had a good time. I would only worry about getting back safely at night :O

10/31/2005 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

True Faith: It wouldve been great if you had the GPS coordinates :p

Sheba: Weird palate, but understandable ;)

Jewaira: Well with experience you will know how to get out :)

11/02/2005 01:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cow's Buttermilk with lumps of butter... mmmmm Rangena on the side... best meal you could get:) But beware... a Killer!
Bil 3afya ;)

11/21/2005 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home