Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Caramel Diaries: The Encounter



The Encounter

It's 5:30 pm and Caramel is daunted by the task she has at hand. Worried that she will not be able meet her deadline and that her boss Mr. Dark Chocolate will not be pleased and will be bitter about it. She has to make sure that all the marketing material is printed and shipped to New York just in time for the Annual International Architecture and Design Awards.

"Two hours and I should atleast feel I have accomplished something" she silently nods and continues to shuffle paper, move things from one end of the desk to the other. The signs of stress and anguish begin to surface as her perfect organizational skills begin to crumble, causing a lot of frustration. She stopped for a while and suddenly gazed at her computer screen. She remained standing looking at the screen yet absent minded. All of a sudden her phone rings, snapping out of her mental break she quickly rambles to pick her phone.

"Oh hey Praline whats up?" she speaks un-excitedly "Well I haven't heard from you the whole day I wanted to check on you. Are you ok?" Caramel not wanting to bother her friend with all the details hesitantly replied "Well listen I'm gonna be out soon, why don't I meet up with you, say chocolate bar in 30?" "Sure".

Caramel still in a state of frustration and confusion, glares back at the screen, then suddenly decides to sit down and write an e-mail. Her fingers on the keyboard, striking a few letters, she pauses and deletes what she wrote. She begins to write again:

Dear Flan,

It is not easy what I am about to write, but after deep contemplation, I decided to write to you this. Never in my life, did I think I will be as happy as I was with you. You inspired me in every possible way to become better. I felt liberated in a world of chains. I saw my future, my past, and my present. I realized I was wrong. I guess, one someone feels its too good to be true, it probably isin't. You have left me alone when I needed your support, your love, your faith in me. I understand your social and business obligations, but that should not deter you from thinking of another obligation. I hate to tell you that I should be an obligation, but the reality is, just as you have other obligations because it has to do with your future, I have every right to ask for the same. Am I not your future? Please don't even bother to answer, because I have heard it so many times and nothing to prove it. I cannot continue to continuously worry about my future, because all you care about is yours, and that doesn't include me.

Flan, I have decided to move on, not just because of what I have mentioned, but because of something that I recently discovered. I cannot be with you nor anyone else, so don't think I have been influenced by someone or leaving you for someone else. It is a decision that I have made, so please respect it. I however will not forget the good times we had together. It was worth it.

Love,

Caramel

She quickly wraps up and leaves in a rush to catch up with her good friend. Caramel a bit late as always quickly enters, only to find her friend sitting with another person, which she can't make out who it was. As she draws near them, Praline looks up and smiles and the other person suddenly stood up and turned his head.

To be continued......

Ok, so why in the world would I be writing this? First, I got this idea from Sarah. Secondly, I wanted to divulge in sweets, and whats better than to start with caramel? I know some might argue for chocolate's but I never missed that here. Also I have promised Corazon something that is sugar loaded. Sponta was also disgusted by the previous post so I decided to giver her something different. Misscosmo's recent posts have also inspired me to do something in that style. Mama Fusla's recent post inspired partly by me had inspired me by her inspiration in me. Makes sense? Salty has also made me think of caramel so much these day's. So in a nutshell its a bloggers inspired post :) FYI Flan is a Spanish and Latin American word for Creme Caramel.

Caramel Apple Muffins

2 C. all-purpose flour

3/4 C. granulated sugar

1/4 C. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

2 1/2 t. cinnamon

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 C. milk

1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

1/2 C. apples, peeled and finely diced

3/4 C. diced caramel candy squares (about 12)

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups.In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.In another bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and stir just to blend. Stir in apples and caramels. Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed. Serve warm.

Makes 12 muffins.

12 Comments:

Blogger Spontaneousnessity said...

mmmmmm.. me likey =} you got away with it this time pal =P

8/31/2005 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Papillona ® said...

well well well
look at you all sweet

can't wait to know who's with parlines. and pls pls include some almonds

9/01/2005 01:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add nuts! some kind of nuts! Macadaymian Nuts!

9/01/2005 01:17:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Sponta: well I had to please all the crowds, and I can't leave you disappointed :p

Salty: As for the person with Pralines, that has to be left for the next post. Yeah go for the recipe and tell me what you think.

Sarah: there will be "nuts" involved :)

9/01/2005 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Caramel is fragile, she simply can't handle the heat!
Mr. Dark Chocolate is simply too bitter and even rigid!
Flan is too mooshi mosh and needs to harden up a bit. Perhaps Caramel didn't put him in the fridge long enough worried that she might harden up herself and lose all taste for Flan (Creme Caramel)!

Praline was surely hangin out with Sticky Toffee who always wants to know everyone's business, perhaps because she can't hang out with anyone else but Apples.
The truth is, they need to meet straweberry and milkshake, an easy goin couple who are friends and don't hold bitter grudges against each other the way they do. Cos to them, life is sweet even when bitter..
BTW did someone say Macadaymia Nuts? In muffins???????
you gotta be on crack. They're too oily! Think lighter..

9/01/2005 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger ray said...

u know ... u should open your own restaurant :)

9/01/2005 03:45:00 AM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

i don't like cooking, do you deliver?

9/01/2005 04:06:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Hiballicious: hehe I like doing that. Beleive me, the way you reintroduce food puts it in another echelon. We are just too used to eating food the way it is "supposed" to be eaten. Sometimes that is good too :)

Mama: What the hell?! LOL

Ray: I did :)

Flamingolya: Soon :)

9/01/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

you did?! which one!? yalla I'm hungry :P
aham shay you have sandwiches for dawam delivery!

9/01/2005 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger ray said...

where where where ??

allah estanast :D

9/01/2005 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

All I can say that it is a known "original" concept ;p

9/02/2005 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger Rimyoleta said...

YUMMY:P...mmmmmmmmm...i like FOOD:)
so that means i'm sooooo in love with ur Blog:D

9/06/2005 08:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home