Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Street Cafe

Photo and graphics by Equalizer.


So I have traveled a lot, not to all the places that I would love to visit, but a good deal of them. I still don’t feel content. I feel there is a lot more that I want to see. I the world is small yet big. It is made small through the eyes of the media. If you want to see a place you can see it in the comfort of your home. Experiencing it is another issue. There are intangible things like culture, which no one can portray accurately. You have to be physically present to feel it, sense it, and experience it. Experiencing the food, for me is one of the most important things on my agenda. Food stalls have always enticed me to try the wonderful things on offer, but I rarely do, as are there legitimate health concerns from such places. The problem is that such food stalls serve very unique food items, only to be found there. All I can do is observe and try to emulate. Instead, for some of the dishes I will develop my own interpretation of the food.

  • Indonesian Chicken & Beef satay - on Sambal fried rice (Nasi Goreng)
  • Pad Thai Noodles - with shrimp, deep fried tofu, bean sprouts and crushed peanuts, garnished with cilantro.
  • Fritas - Cuban street mini burgers topped with potato sticks.
  • Pommes Frites - Fresh cut crispy twice-fried potatoes with crispy roasted onions and fresh mayonaise.
  • Pizzetta- Italian mini pizza topped with sundried tomato pesto, olive tapenade, and shredded asiago cheese.
  • Albondigas - Spanish meatballs cooked in a spicy tomato-red pepper sauce with saffron and slivered onions and served in a claypot.
  • Moqueca - A Brazilian fish stew. A speciallty of the African , Indian, and Portuguese influenced region of Bahia made with garlic, parsely, corriander, peppers, coconut milk and palm oil.
  • Shanghai Noodles - wok fried with black bean sauce, soy, ginger, garlic and green onions.
  • Japanese Tsukemono - Assorted Japanese pickles served with fried rice.
  • Morrocan Lamb Tagine - with prunes and served with a rustic Berber bread and a side of spicy harissa.
  • South Indian Dosai - Crispy wafer thin crepes filled with masala infused fried potatoes and spicy coconut chutney.
  • Chicago style Hot Dog - with chopped onion, relish, chopped tomato, mustard, and pickled peppers, with a side of fries.
  • Egyptian Koshari - Rice with lentils topped with macaroni and fried onions and topped with a tangy tomato sauce.
  • Apple Tarte Tatin - A French caramelized apple upside-down tart.
  • Lebanese Kanafa - Baked fine semolina with kashkaval cheese and topped with sweet syrup.
  • Bahraini Halwa - A jelly-like sweet made with sugar, saffron, cardamon, and a whole lot of exotic ingredients, best served warm. (The Omani version is darker and spicier)

13 Comments:

Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

did anybody tell you that I'm on a diet here!!! Loved reading about all those dishes...my favorites are the Lebanese Kanafa, the Bahraini 7alwa and finally the Chicago Hot Dog...and now...thanks to you...I'm starving!

8/24/2005 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Corazon you are absolutely right. I am trying to experience the place through many aspects. As for more travelling that depends on my already hectic schedule :S but i'll manage to fix it in :)

Misscosmo hehe well the point here is present food in another way in the sense to tantalize the taste buds, so if you are on a diet, its sure gonna torture you :P but not my fault. hehe

8/24/2005 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Sheba said...

Nice shot. Very artsy. However, i hate the interlock tiles on the floor :s

Oh & i will come back again to read :p

8/25/2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger ray said...

:)

8/27/2005 01:56:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Fatso : hehe you have a genuine concern and a very good question...I got fat yes...but I'm not at the moment. :p

Sheba: I like your sharp eye for details hehe Yeah the interlock tiles kinda ruins it :S

Samboose: I do both :) and everything in between :p

Corazon: I do tend to be adventurous at times, and I came across chocolate covered bugs, I might try it, but I dont think I will enjoy it :) I do however eat snails, which does qualify as a bug.

8/27/2005 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Cool blog, will be checking in more frequently!

8/28/2005 02:26:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Mona Li: Welcome to my blog :)

Samboose: Wow, I love those bakery ideas. My problem is that the bakeries here in Kuwait do not give you that cozy rustic yet cosmopolitan feeling. I love the idea of a muffin bakery! I could imgaine clab brick walls, rustic wooden floors, chalkboard signs and just a few sofa chairs for those who want to enjoy them on th spot! Mmmmm If you are serious about it then I can help :p

Kuwaitigirl: welcome back its been a while! Hope you are ok :)

8/28/2005 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Samboose: Wow you have a good headstart. What you need is a complete re-assessment of the concept you have in mind with target markets and everything in mind. Upscale, midscale, downscale etc. Seriously what you should focus on is a muffin bakery with like 20 varieties or more. I can think of Dulce de leche (latin american caramel) muffin dusted with cinnamon and icing sugar, Raspberry white chocolate muffin, Oatmeal and honey muffin, Choclate fondant muffin, Gir9 3gailee muffin, strawberry cheesecake muffin and whole lot more. This gives you immediate recognition as the authority on muffins, and opens door for catering to coffee shops like starbucks etc. That doesnt mean that you cannot do more stuff, but out of evperience, specialization sells!

8/28/2005 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

I have some indonesian recipes if you would like, there is already a really good recipe for sambal prawns on eatstuff :)

Just send me an email ;)

8/28/2005 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

yepeeee!! your old grandma is so happy to be able to read! :p

8/28/2005 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

clare eats: I will definitly love to have a recipe collection and more indonesian stuff :)

Flamingolya: I guess you are the one that sparked all the changes here! hehe Thanks :)

8/28/2005 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Kuwaiti girl LOOOL what is amazing all of a sudden? and the answer is no I'm not :S



Yet :p

8/28/2005 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Equalizer said...

Kuwaitigirl thanks for the compliment, but I still have a long way to go. With passion every road becomes short. :)

8/29/2005 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home